NeoMedia outlines what 2012 has in store for mobile barcodes
Mobile web, greater proliferation of barcodes and better consumer experiences
Atlanta, January 4, 2012 – After a year of enormous market growth for mobile barcodes, the pioneer in global mobile barcode management solutions, NeoMedia Technologies, Inc. (OTC BB: NEOM.OB), today unveiled its top industry predictions for 2012.
1. QR codes will dominate: While mobile barcodes will continue to gain traction thanks to increasing smartphone penetration, greater consumer awareness as well as brand confidence and understanding around mobile barcodes, QR codes will continue to be the dominant 2D symbology, becoming the most utilized by marketers across all sectors
2. QR codes front and center: In 2012 we expect to see a rise in mobile barcode scanning applications integrated into brand and retail mobile marketing applications to enable greater consumer participation, expanded loyalty initiatives and overall enhanced consumer experience when in store. Coupled with this, we expect to see hardware solutions at retail support mobile barcode scanning on a much wider basis in 2012.
We also expect mobile barcode campaigns to become much more innovative and creative, where barcode campaigns are more than simply a web redirect and take center stage in campaign design.
3. 1D scanning rises: While 2D scanning will continue to grow, we will see continued growth of 1D for extended packaging, promotion, loyalty, and advertising. As well, major industry bodies, like GS1, will continue to work to enhance the product information behind the scan, to ensure a more positive consumer experience and more accurate data. The influence of barcode scanning on the consumer’s shopping habits will only continue to grow as marketers further engage on mobile barcodes.
4. Mobile web takes center stage: 2012 will see a noticeable shift toward the mobile web given three major factors:
- The ubiquity of the web cross platform;
- Cost associated with developing applications across multiple platforms; and,
- The experiences enabled by a mobile web environment.
This rise in mobile web will directly correlate to the rise of mobile barcodes. Mobile barcodes make it easier than ever to connect to the mobile web, no more typing cumbersome URLs. Instead, consumers can connect quickly to a mobile website with a simple barcode scan.
5. US emerges as market leader: The US market will rise to dominate mobile marketing globally as smartphones, tablets and other internet connected devices increasingly become ubiquitous. In the US, for instance, expect smartphones to hold the lion’s share of the market by the end of 2012.
“2011 has seen enormous growth in the penetration and usage of mobile barcodes. Brand owners, retailers and consumers are all becoming more familiar with 2D codes and the value they can offer,” said Laura Marriott, CEO of NeoMedia. “2012 promises to be another big year for mobile barcodes, and we expect to be in the middle of it.”
- ENDS -
NeoMedia Technologies, Inc. is the global market leader in 2D mobile barcode technology and infrastructure solutions that enable the mobile barcode ecosystem world-wide. Its technology platform transforms mobile devices with cameras into barcode scanners, enabling a range of practical and engaging applications including consumer oriented advertising, mobile ticketing and couponing, and business-to-business commercial track and trace solutions.
NeoMedia’s suite of products, services and extensive IP portfolio means it is the only provider able to offer customers a comprehensive end-to-end mobile code solution. NeoMedia’s current customers include handset manufacturers, platform providers, brands and agencies looking to offer pioneering mobile barcode solutions to their customer base.
NeoMedia’s product portfolio includes: mobile barcode management & infrastructure solutions, barcode reader solutions, Mobile Coupon & Affiliate Marketing, Mobile Ticketing & POS Integration and IP Licensing. Learn more at www.neom.com or visit us at one of the following online destinations:
For more information please contact:
US: Marla Cimini / Nora Snoddy, +1 856 616-1194 / +1 973 941 0986
Europe: Ryan Waters / Rebecca Carnie +44 207 751 4444